Pan-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds), skin removed
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, oil, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix paprika and the remaining salt, rosemary and pepper. Sprinkle chicken with paprika mixture; arrange over vegetables. Roast until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are just tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Top vegetables with spinach. Roast until vegetables are tender and spinach is wilted, 8-10 minutes longer. Stir vegetables to combine; serve with chicken.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1 cup vegetables: 357 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2019
I thought it needed a tad more seasoning, which I adjusted according to taste. I also used more vegetables and added half a packet of dried Italian dressing mix.
Jan 10, 2019
I thought this recipe was really simple and one of the things I love about it is that you really can tailor it to your pallet. I didn't have chicken thighs so I used breasts and cut them in half. To season I used Greek seasoning on the veggies and here garlic on the chicken breasts. A change I would make next time if I was still using breasts would be instead of removing the chicken from the pan just leave it on and at 35 minutes toss the spinach on and let it continue to cook for the ten minutes. You can save sometime this way.
Dec 16, 2018
My first one-pan dish. Loses one star because the chicken isn't flavorful. My son asked if it was seasoned with anything. But, the veggies were fantastic. Since mashed potatoes were requested by a dinner guest, my veggies on the pan were: butternut squash chunks, sliced portobellos, sliced peppers, onions, plus the baby spinach (8-10 mins was spot on for the spinach). In fact, my second serving was a plate of mashed potatoes topped with the roasted vegetables.
Nov 24, 2018
This was great. Will cook this again and again.
Oct 23, 2018
Very tasty and easy to adapt to what my family likes. Will add this to my meal rotation!
Oct 4, 2018
I took out the spinach (as what I had was wilted) and instead added fresh broccoli and some portobello mushrooms and it was delicious! I prefer chicken thighs over breasts and this recipe is wonderful. I also accidentally put in a shake of red wine vinegar thinking it was olive oil (then I corrected with the olive oil of course) and that little "mistake" ended up being tasty! This recipe is a whole meal on a pan.
May 28, 2018
Very easy and so delicious! I left the skin on my chicken and it crisped up very good. The juices from the chicken cooks down into the potatoes and makes them crispy and delicious too. I had never made spinach roasted before but it was very tasty. I think this recipe would work well with pork chops also!
Mar 23, 2018
Excellent and so easy. As an alternative to the potatoes, the first time I made this recipe I cut up turnips and rutabaga and roasted with the chicken. Butternut squash would be another excellent alternative to potatoes.
Mar 17, 2018
Great flavor and so versatile! I used whatever vegetables I had on hand and/or needed to get rid of. Potatoes, onion, red pepper and fresh green beans was a great combo...I adjusted the cook time a bit since the peppers and beans didn't need to go as long.
Mar 1, 2018
Very good. The whole family loves it