Painted Holiday Delights
These soft sandwich cookies are eye-catching, thanks to the holiday designs you paint of with food coloring. Orange juice in the dough and strawberry preserves in the filling add a light fruity flavor. I make them for special occasions.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Assorted food coloring
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and orange juice; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Shape into a ball; cover and chill for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine filling ingredients; spread on the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies.
- For glaze, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over tops of cookies; dry. Using a small new paintbrush and food coloring, paint holiday designs on cookie tops. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 330 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Painted Holiday Delights in Country Woman Christmas 2001