Padre Island Shells
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3-1/2 cup medium shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomato and parsley.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Stir in pasta and crab. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 395 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2011
I have made this a number of times and everyone always really enjoys it! I use the imitation crab, but sometimes I use the mix of crab, lobster, and those tiny shrimps. I always make sparkling lemonade to go with it. :)