Padre Island Shells
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3-1/2 cup medium shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomato and parsley.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Stir in pasta and crab. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 395 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 26, 2011
I have made this a number of times and everyone always really enjoys it! I use the imitation crab, but sometimes I use the mix of crab, lobster, and those tiny shrimps. I always make sparkling lemonade to go with it. :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.