VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3-1/2 cup medium shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomato and parsley.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Stir in pasta and crab. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Padre Island Shells in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p112
Reviews forPadre Island Shells
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2011
"I have made this a number of times and everyone always really enjoys it! I use the imitation crab, but sometimes I use the mix of crab, lobster, and those tiny shrimps. I always make sparkling lemonade to go with it. :)"