Pad Thai Cupcakes
This moist, tender cupcake from our Test Kitchen has a bit of heat from cayenne and pepper flakes, while peanut butter frosting provides some sweetness.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped salted peanuts, minced fresh cilantro and crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, cream the peanut butter, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, cream peanut butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the cream, confectioners' sugar and salt. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with peanuts, cilantro and pepper flakes.