VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 pounds uncooked shell-on shrimp (31-40 per pound)
- PICKLING MIXTURE:
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, combine water, celery leaves, pickling spices and salt; bring to a boil. Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp turn pink, 4-6 minutes. Drain; peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on.
- Layer shrimp, onions and bay leaves in a 13x9-in. dish. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, capers, celery seed, salt and pepper sauce; pour over shrimp. Refrigerate, covered, 24 hours.
- Just before serving, drain shrimp and onions, reserving 1/2 cup marinade. Discard remaining marinade and bay leaves. Transfer shrimp and onions to a serving bowl or individual glasses; drizzle with reserved marinade. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pacific Northwest Pickled Shrimp in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p15