Owl Eyes Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Orange and yellow M&M's
- Whole cashews
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.
- 2. Remove two-thirds of the dough; roll into an 8-in. square on waxed paper and set aside. Combine chocolate and baking soda until thoroughly blended beat into remaining dough. Shape into an 8-in. long roll; place on edge of white dough. Wrap white dough around roll and pinch seam together. Wrap in waxed paper; chill for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. To form owl's face, place two slices side by side on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pinch dough at the top of the circles to form ears. Place M&M's in the center of each circle for eyes. Place a cashew in the center of the face for the beak. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 210 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Owl Eyes Cookies
"I have been making these adorable and tasty cookies for years! In fact, my mother made these for my twin sister's and my classes when we were in grammar school in the early 1960's! She got the recipe from a Pillsbury bake-Off cookbook. I've made them for my own children, now grown. I always bake these owl cookies this time of year, it's a tradition :)"