Overnight Vegetable Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Place mixed vegetables in a steamer basket over 1 in. of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the kidney beans, celery, green pepper and onion; mix well.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, salt and pepper. Stir in the vinegar and mustard until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 102 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Feb 9, 2010
This is a very good vegetable salad. I love the fact it uses frozen vegetables. The kidney beans are a nice touch. My husband thinks it tastes so good he doesn't even realize he is eating vegetables!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.