Overnight Vegetable Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Place mixed vegetables in a steamer basket over 1 in. of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the kidney beans, celery, green pepper and onion; mix well.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, salt and pepper. Stir in the vinegar and mustard until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 102 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2010
This is a very good vegetable salad. I love the fact it uses frozen vegetables. The kidney beans are a nice touch. My husband thinks it tastes so good he doesn't even realize he is eating vegetables!