Overnight Turkey Casserole
Folks who love turkey will appreciate the flavor of this golden casserole. I love that I can make it day ahead and just pop it from the refrigerator to the oven. Add a baked potato and a salad and you're all set! —Monica Waletzko, Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 70 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 slices white bread
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 6 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 slices process American cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender. Cool completely. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and water chestnuts.
- Place bread in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; spread with mayonnaise mixture. Top with mushrooms. Layer with cheeses. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, soups and milk; pour over top (dish will be full). Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and heated through, about 1 hour. Toss bread crumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over top. Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.