VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups rye flour
- 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; stir in sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Add milk, molasses, brown sugar, oil, oats, orange peel, salt, fennel, aniseed, caraway, rye flour and 6 cups of all-purpose flour. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft but sticky dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Shape into four loaves. Place in greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes. Remove from the pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
Originally published as Overnight Swedish Rye Bread in Country October/November 1994, p49