- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 3/4 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups plus 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in 3 tablespoons water. Add remaining sugar and water, oil, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 20 rolls. Place on a greased baking sheet; cover and refrigerate overnight. Allow rolls to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter if desired. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 20 rolls.
Reviews forOvernight Rolls
"nice rolls, needed longer than 15 mins to come to room temperature & needed to cook the full 15 minutes."
"These were absolutely delicious. Making them the night before surely makes it a lot easier, when preparing a big meal. My family said they were fantastic!!!"
"Light and airy! These rolls are delicious! I didn't refrigerate (couldn't wait to try them) and they still turned out great!"