- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a 4-qt. or 13x9-in. glass dish, layer the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sugar; spoon over salad, spreading to cover.
- Sprinkle top with cheese, bacon and cranberries. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews forOvernight Layered Lettuce Salad
"I mix 1 cup Hellmann's and 1 cup sour cream with 1 pkg Hidden Valley Dressing mix - Yum!"
"I use green onions, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Then I slice a cucumber in half and rim the bowl. Adds a pretty fresh look and taste"
"I used green onion, instead of regular onion because I wanted a milder onion flavor and I omitted the cranberries. Delicious!"
"This have been a family favorite for years. This is a must for any potluck."
"I'm not a big fan of salads but I loved this!! I served it for my church group carry in and I left out the bacon since there were some vegetatarians in the group. Even without bacon this tastes great and it's so easy to put together!"
"You can't go wrong with bacon and cheese! I like to add a pressed clove of garlic, a tsp each of seasoned salt, ground black pepper and dried dill weed, and a dash of red wine vinegar to the dressing for some zip. Great recipe."
"I subbed romaine for the iceberg lettuce. Family likes it better. I've been making this salad for years. I usually put broccoli or cauliflower in it, but I didn't this time. I thought the cranberries was a nice touch."
"Oh yum! This was awesome. Thanks for hard-boiled egg suggestion. This will definitely be a summer staple!"