- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a double boiler over medium heat, cook and stir eggs, sugar and vinegar until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine grapes, marshmallows, pineapple, oranges and bananas; add cooled dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped cream and pecans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forOvernight Fruit Salad
"Like my mom’s from the early 1950"
"This was just delicious. It's going into my Pinterest account for future reference. I got the perfect pot for it from https://ceramiccookwarehub.com. The nonstick type means simple and easy cleanup."
"I do not have a double boiler. Is stovetop ok ? Thanks"
"This was excellent! I'm not a big fan of fruit salad, but I loved this. I took another reviewer's suggestion and added the bananas when I added the whipped cream and pecans."
"OMG! This is MaMa's salad! (with the exception of the bananas and pecans) I don't know of anyone else ever making this! This is a favorite in my husband's family. We fight over the leftovers!!! Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing!!"
"I know this as 24 hour fruit salad. My recipe calls for lemon juice, not vinegar. If i had to use vinegar, I'd use a mild one, like rice wine, or white white vinegar. Even champagne vinegar. Hope that helps."