- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a double boiler over medium heat, cook and stir eggs, sugar and vinegar until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine grapes, marshmallows, pineapple, oranges and bananas; add cooled dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped cream and pecans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forOvernight Fruit Salad
"OMG! This is MaMa's salad! (with the exception of the bananas and pecans) I don't know of anyone else ever making this! This is a favorite in my husband's family. We fight over the leftovers!!! Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing!!"
"I know this as 24 hour fruit salad. My recipe calls for lemon juice, not vinegar. If i had to use vinegar, I'd use a mild one, like rice wine, or white white vinegar. Even champagne vinegar. Hope that helps."
"This sounds delicious, and I'm looking forward to trying it, but what kind of vinegar did all these reviewers use?"
"Same...at least 45 years ago I made it from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I found it best to add the bananas the next day when folding in the whipped cream. Will have to make this again soon."
"This was our Christmas salad passed down by my grandmother in Oklahoma. She used cherries instead of bananas. For people who say to use cool whip, it is not the same at all. The dressing partially dissolves the marshmallows, and the salad is even better the second day (although it usually doesn't last that long)."
"I made this for a family Memorial Day get together. It was a definite hit. Everyone raved about it."
"The salad tasted good. I was disappointed in it though. I followed the recipe exactly except following one reviewers suggestion of replacing whipped cream with cool whip. You couldn't tell what fruit you were eating. The bananas and marshmallows just disintegrated. The pudding became almost foamy and overpowered the fruit. If I make it again, I would definitely increase the quantity of fruit. The bananas didn't have a chance to turn brown."
"Sounding awful and tasting awful are two different things BigMick1. There are all different types of fruit salads. Please do not knock it until you try it. Why add all of that junk you ask? Because it tastes good that's why."