Blueberry french toast is a year-round treat. Show off your crop of fresh berries in the summer or use frozen berries to warm up on a chilly morning. —Cristy King, Scott Depot, West Virginia
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 7 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries, thawed
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat; whisk in brown sugar. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with bread. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Turn bread slices. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Top with blueberries; bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with syrup. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked French Toast with Blueberries in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p7