Oven Swiss Steak Recipe
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 pounds round steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1. In a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove, crumble and set aside. Discard all but 1/4 cup drippings. Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Brown on both sides in drippings. Top meat with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with tarragon and bacon. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender, basting twice. Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water; add to skillet and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Serve over meat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving: 385 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Oven Swiss Steak
"OK but probably won't repeat."
"I have never made Swiss Steak because I didn't like my mom's version and dreaded when she made it when I was growing up. So I was delighted and surprised at how yummy this recipe is. Everyone really enjoyed it."
"Loved it!! Not pricey to make but lots of flavor and the dish felt rich."
"My family loves this dish!"