Oven Stew and Biscuits
Soy sauce and sesame seeds give this hearty casserole a slight Asian twist. The recipe come from my brother, who was a wonderful cook.—Bertha Brookmeier, El Cajon, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- Sesame seeds
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef in batches; shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in batches in oil over medium heat. Return all to the pan; stir in tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, soy sauce and molasses.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Stir in the green pepper. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Uncover; top with biscuits. Brush biscuits with butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 15-18 minutes more or until the biscuits are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 387 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1222mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Oven Stew and Biscuits in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.