All kinds of root vegetables star in this colorful medley. Fresh thyme and sage season the mix of rutabaga, parsnips and butternut squash. "This side dish is satisfying anytime of year," says Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland. "Besides being delicious, it's very easy to prepare."
Recommended: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 cups cubed peeled parsnips
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large bowl, combine the rutabaga, parsnips, squash and onions. Add the oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with herbs; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p44