My husband found this recipe almost 30 years ago. He would often prepare it for me and our daughters...now they make it for their own families.—Madge Harman, Orange Park, Florida
Recommended: Grandma's Best Suppers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 12 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Whisk flour into drippings until smooth. Gradually whisk in tomato juice; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return meatballs to pan. Add vegetables; stir gently. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Oven Meatball Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p127