Like deep-fried pickles? You'll love this un-fried version even more. Dill pickle spears are coated with panko bread crumbs and spices, then baked until crispy. Dip them with ranch dressing for an appetizer you won't soon forget.—Nick Iverson, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Recommended: A Round-Up of 50 Famous Texas Foods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 32 dill pickle slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 500°. Let pickles stand on a paper towel until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour and salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs, pickle juice, cayenne and garlic powder. Combine panko and dill in a third shallow bowl.
- Dip pickles in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Transfer to a greased wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Oven-Fried Pickles in TasteofHome.com 2017