- 32 dill pickle slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 500°. Let pickles stand on a paper towel until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour and salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs, pickle juice, cayenne and garlic powder. Combine panko and dill in a third shallow bowl.
- Dip pickles in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Transfer to a greased wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOven-Fried Pickles
"Success! I will be making these again. I skipped the egg wash and the bread crumbs stuck to the floured pickle just fine. I did let them sit for about 10 minutes after the Flour sack shake. And I also processed the Panko bread crumbs for a few seconds. I have found that some foods are hard to coat with them as they are larger then most bread crumbs. A few whirls lightens them up. They are nice and crispy on the outside. They should be served immediately. You may want to keep an eye on them as that's a very hot oven and they do brown fairly quick. I used sliced pickles. This is a make again recipe as we really enjoyed them.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor."