Oven-Fried Fish & Chips
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish or chopped dill pickle
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- FISH AND POTATOES:
- 1-1/2 pounds baking potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 cod fillets (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Malt vinegar, optional
- For tartar sauce, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, relish and lemon zest. Refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1-in.-thick wedges; toss with oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread evenly in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Roast until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast panko bread crumbs over medium-low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a shallow bowl; stir in seasoned bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle cod with the remaining salt and pepper; spread top and sides of fish with mayonnaise. Dip in crumb mixture to cover mayonnaise, pressing firmly to help adhere. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, crumb side up. Sprinkle with any remaining crumb mixture. Bake until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 12-15 minutes.
- Toss potatoes with cheese and parsley. Serve fish and potatoes with tartar sauce and, if desired, vinegar.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 475 calories, 24g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 789mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 30, 2019
Excellent. The malt vinegar adds a very nice touch.
Mar 5, 2019
This was delicious and a keeper in my recipe box.
Nov 21, 2018
I really like this alternative fish and chips recipe. Tartar sauce was very good considering there were only 3 basic ingredients.
Jul 2, 2016
Yum! What a delicious topping...so crunchy. Recipe is easy and quick to make. I departed from the tartar sauce recipe by using fresh dill and added some sour cream to the mayonnaise. Will make again. If you use thawed frozen cod, make sure you pat the filets dry with paper towels before spreading with mayonnaise; it will adhere much better.
Jun 27, 2016
What an easy and delicious recipe! The potatoes were crispy outside, creamy inside. The fish was moist and flaky ... all in all .... a wonderful healthy meal. By the way, the leftover fish was very tasty leftover the next day ... eaten straight from the fridge, cold! I will most definitely be making this many times!!!
May 13, 2016
Finding recipes that can be cut down for just one is becoming more and difficult, but this one was a snap.. It can also be easily doubles for a larger crowd than the 4 it was originally intended to serve. This really hit the spot for me.. I am a lifetime fan of the old, original Fish n Chips from an English pub, and this one came really close. Bravo !