- 10 medium Granny Smith apples (4-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Peel apples and cut in 1/4-in. to 1/2-in. slices. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, alternate layers of apples and sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes. Yield: 6 cups.
Reviews forOven-Fried Apples
"I served this with Christmas dinner this year 2012. My whole family enjoyed the apples but I too thought it was too soupy. I used 2 types of apples and left the skins on, Granny Smith and Honey Crisp. If the liquid had been a little like a thin syrup I think it would have been more pleasing to the eye and palet. I will do that the next time!"
"The flavor of this dish is excellent. It was like taking a bite out of Christmas however it was way too soupy for me. I am not sure if I did something wrong or not but it was like soup with chunks of apples. I will definately try this again after I ask around to see how I can fix that problem. This recipe is worth a try for anyone who likes apples."