Oven Fish ‘n’ Chips
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium baking potatoes (1 pound), peeled
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound haddock fillets
- Tartar sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine oil and pepper. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/2-in. strips. Add to oil mixture; toss to coat. Place on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and pepper in a shallow dish. In a second dish, beat egg substitute and water. In a third dish, combine cornflakes, cheese and cayenne. Dredge fish in flour, then dip in egg mixture and roll in crumb mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with chips and tartar sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 243 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Feb 13, 2018
Fish was very crispy, potatoes were delicious also. A great alternative to fried fish and french fries. I think this coating would be good on boneless chicken also.
Jun 16, 2015
I love fish and chips. I am so glad to find a GOOD recipe for this dish that is not deep fried. I use cod for this, and the fish tends to need to bake a bit longer then the recipe states, the potatoes had to bake closer to an hour before done. Maybe I cut my strips thicker then the person who created this recipe. I dont mind, that is a small price to pay for something this good.
Apr 2, 2015
Very good oven fried fish. I like it just about as much as deep fried. Will make again for sure.
Apr 1, 2011
I pan-fried the fish for a few minutes in a bit of oil before baking for extra-crispy deliousness.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.