Oven Cheese Chowder
This hearty soup has a delicious blend of ingredients. I especially like it because it uses zucchini and tomatoes, which are abundant this time of year.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 70 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 pound zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- Additional Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and bake at 400° for 1 hour, stirring once.
- Stir in the cheeses and cream. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Top with additional Monterey Jack if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 968mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Oven Cheese Chowder in Country August/September 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.