- 1/2 pound reduced-fat kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the sausage, onion, carrots, celery and garlic for 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until carrots are tender and liquid is slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the bread crumbs, butter and parsley. Sprinkle over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are bubbly and top is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forOven Cassoulet
"This recipe is outstanding...we've made it many times and never have any leftovers. I double the amount of sausage and use only one can of beans, and I omit the celery, but otherwise I keep everything else the same. I've used chicken-apple sausage, German sausage, and kielbasa interchangeably; all have been very good in this dish."