- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOven Barbecued Chicken
"I don't know... It didn't exactly excite us...I probably won't make it again.. It wasn't a 5 star in my books... try Taste of homes seafood lasagna... now that is a 5 star!"
"I made this for dinner last night and was not disappointed! Everyone in the family enjoyed it. The sauce is the perfect mix of tangy and sweet, and the chicken was perfectly tender after the 45 minutes. There was a breast leftover, and I thinly sliced it and coated it with leftover sauce for an amazing chicken sandwich for lunch today! This will definitely become part of the regular rotation."
"great flavor and very easy to make. will make again."
"Delicious! I used bone-in thigh/leg pieces and cut them to separate the thighs from the legs to make four servings of two pieces each. easy recipe with great results!"
"Just excellent for sandwiches on good rolls! I lightly browned bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs in a skillet, then put them into the slow cooker, with the other ingredients, on low for 7 hours. Then I removed the pieces, took off the skin and discarded that with the bones, and shredded the chicken. I skimmed the fat from the top of the barbecue sauce before returning meat to the sauce. It's really very delicious."
"I really love this "Oven BBQ chicken" recipe. I found it many years ago in a "Taste of Home magazines"... This BBQ sauce isn't thick but the flavor is sweet and tangy'. I doctor it up with a few T of bottle BBQ sauce too and my guys like it that way. My only complaint is having to brown the chicken, which I have done sometimes, but I'm a bit lazy so now I skip the browning and brush the pieces with the oil and then place in the oven on higher temp (like 450) before adding the sauce; when it's a little browned I lower the temperature, add the BBQ sauce to bake the rest of the way through..."
"Delicious, easy to make, had raves from all family members"