- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOven Barbecued Chicken
"I tried this recipe back in 1994 when one of the 1st TOH cookbooks came out. It is my go to time and time again. My family loves the flavor and I use legs and thighs. Served with garlic mashed potatoes, veggie or salad and hot cornbread!"
"I don't know... It didn't exactly excite us...I probably won't make it again.. It wasn't a 5 star in my books... try Taste of homes seafood lasagna... now that is a 5 star!"
"I made this for dinner last night and was not disappointed! Everyone in the family enjoyed it. The sauce is the perfect mix of tangy and sweet, and the chicken was perfectly tender after the 45 minutes. There was a breast leftover, and I thinly sliced it and coated it with leftover sauce for an amazing chicken sandwich for lunch today! This will definitely become part of the regular rotation."
"great flavor and very easy to make. will make again."
"Delicious! I used bone-in thigh/leg pieces and cut them to separate the thighs from the legs to make four servings of two pieces each. easy recipe with great results!"
"Just excellent for sandwiches on good rolls! I lightly browned bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs in a skillet, then put them into the slow cooker, with the other ingredients, on low for 7 hours. Then I removed the pieces, took off the skin and discarded that with the bones, and shredded the chicken. I skimmed the fat from the top of the barbecue sauce before returning meat to the sauce. It's really very delicious."