Looking for an alternative to french fries? Try these lightly crisp potato wedges. You can have fun with the coating—add some garlic powder, Cajun seasoning of whatever spices your family prefers. —LaDonna Reed of Ponca City, Oklahoma
Recommended: 25 Ways to Eat Eggs All Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium unpeeled baking potatoes (1 pound)
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, bread crumbs, cheese and seasonings. Cut each potato lengthwise into eight wedges. Dip potatoes into egg whites, then coat with crumb mixture.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray wedges evenly with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Oven-Baked Country Fries in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p31