Who wouldn't like a treat that combines the best of chocolate chip, oatmeal and peanut butter cookies--all in one? That's just what you get in Out-on-the-Range Cookies from Sharon Weaver of Orlando, Florida. "I bake these cookies for our two nephews when they make their annual trip to visit us," she explains. "They love them. The problem is that the recipe has far too much fat and sugar in it, so we only make it for this one visit--never just for us. I would love a makeover version of this recipe."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in peanut butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 filled pita half: 122 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Out on the Range Cookies in Light & Tasty August/September 2004
Dec 28, 2009
I made these cookies for visiting cousins; the 7-yr-old youngest had a field day helping. We all enjoyed Out-on-the-Range Cookies very, very much. Yes, I would make these cookies again. :)