These are a cinch to bake-and even more fun to decorate! Our Test Kitchen staff turned out a pair of not-so-scary aliens, but you can let your imagination run wild and create critters, princesses, trains...the sky's the limit. Or save the decorating fun for a party activity, and let the kids top their cakes any way they want.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green gel food coloring or color of your choice, optional
- Pretzel ticks, Tic Tacs, Life Savers, red string licorice, Tart 'n' Tinys, Chuckles, Chewy Runts and Peanut M&M's or candies of your choice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill greased or paper-line muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Tint the frosting with food coloring if desired. Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Out-Of-This-World Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2003, p10