These are a cinch to bake—and even more fun to decorate! Save the decorating fun for a party activity, and let the kids top their cakes any way they want. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Paste food coloring of your choice, optional
- Decorating gel
- Assorted toppings: sprinkles, sour straws and licorice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Tint frosting with food coloring of choice. Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired with decorating gel and assorted toppings. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Out-Of-This-World Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2003, p10