Osso Buco Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 6 veal shanks (2 inches thick)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1. Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge meat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place the shanks in a single layer in a Dutch oven or oblong baking dish; sprinkle with Italian seasoning and sage. Combine the carrots, onion, celery and garlic; sprinkle over meat. In a small bowl, whisk together wine, broth and tomato paste. Pour over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until fork-tender. Just before serving, combine Gremolata ingredients; sprinkle over each shank. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 341 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Osso Buco
"I fixed this and everyone loved it!!"
"This is a first class recipe. I made this many years ago & lost my recipe, I'm so glad to have discovered it again on the Taste of Home website. All the flavors work extremely well together!"