Orzo with Feta and Almonds
Quick-cooking orzo pasta is the secret to getting this side dish on the table in a jiffy. It pairs well with a variety of entrees.—Clara Coulston, Washington Court House, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Drain orzo; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheese, almonds, currants, parsley, oregano and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, peel, salt, pepper and the remaining olive oil. Drizzle over orzo mixture; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 336 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Orzo Pilaf in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.