- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk the eggs, orange juice, butter and orange peel; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust warm fritters with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 20 fritters.
Reviews forOrlando Orange Fritters
"These are so good we made them twice in one week! I added more grated orange peel the second time. We didn't have any issue with tasting oil on the outside of the fritter. You absolutely must drain them on paper towels. Fantastic!"
"If you want a quick, fatty alternative to a fried yeast doughnut this is it. However, the orange taste does not sufficiently mask the oily fried exterior. I did add extra grated orange as the other reviewer suggested, but still found the result unsatisfactory."
"This is wonderful - I will definitely make it again! The only change I will make next time is to use 2Tbsp orange peel instead of 1, but that is just a personal preference. Wonderful Recipe!"