I like serve slices of this dressed-up French bread with a chef's salad. It's also a great complement to soup on a cold day. Sometimes I hollow out the loaf and fill it with the creamy mixture before baking. —Laura Murphy Ventura, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, split
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, oregano, onion and vinegar. Spread over bread.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 162 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Oregano Cheese Loaf in Quick Cooking March/April 2005