Oregano Quick Bread
At Christmas, I deliver dozens of these oven-fresh loaves to friends and neighbors. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup minced fresh oregano
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in the pecans and oregano.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Oregano Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Nov 20, 2008
This bread sounds good and I'd like to try it, but have a question: Can dried oregano be used in place of minced fresh? If so, what would the measurement be?Sincerely,