Orange Zucchini Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly shredded zucchini
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon water
- Place raisins and water in a bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain; set raisins aside. In a bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs; mix well. Stir in cereal, orange zest and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture. mix well. stir in zucchini and raisins. Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and orange zest until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and water; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 358 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 16, 2014
I did prepare this recipe for the first time and I have adjusted this recipe to suit my personal tastes! I used regular raisins and instead of all-bran cereal, I'd used 1/2 cup crushed Raisin Bran cereal. I used 1-1/2 tsp. GROUND Navel orange and I'd used lemon extract instead of vanilla for a variety on flavoring. I used 1/2 tsp. salt and enough finely chopped tart unpeeled apple to well-drained shredded zucchini to equal 1 cup. For oven tempt., I used a 350o F. oven and baked 40 to 45 minutes (I used the 45 minute baking time). For the icing, I'd used 4 oz. cream cheese and 1 tsp. ground Navel orange. I used 1 tsp. evaporated milk instead of water. I'd added 1/8 cup all-purpose flour when adding the raisins, zucchini and apple to batter. I used a 12x8" greased and floured baking pan to bake this cake! I was pleased with the results-I admit that I have to make sure that the batter is spread evenly-I've tried to do that and at times, 1 corner of cake is not as high! Other than that this recipe would rate a 5* recipe! The icing was just enough to use on this cake! Thank you, AnneMacDonald, for sharing your recipe!delowenstein
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.