Orange-Thyme Chicken in Garlic Sauce
The roasted garlic sauce in this recipe makes ordinary chicken breasts amazing. To switch things up, replace the orange juice and zest with lime. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 3 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Orange slices, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- Place orange juice and 2 tablespoons thyme in an 8-in. square baking dish; add chicken. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from orange juice mixture; pat chicken dry. Reserve 1/3 cup marinade; discard remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Using tongs, remove chicken from pan, reserving butter in pan.
- Stir in flour until blended. Cook 30-45 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Gradually stir in broth and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in green onions, roasted garlic, orange zest and remaining minced thyme. Return chicken to pan; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. If desired, serve with orange slices and thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with about 1/4 cup sauce : 303 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Thyme Chicken In Roasted Garlic Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.