Orange-Thyme Chicken in Garlic Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 3 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Orange slices, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- Place orange juice and 2 tablespoons thyme in an 8-in. square baking dish; add chicken. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from orange juice mixture; pat chicken dry. Reserve 1/3 cup marinade; discard remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook chicken 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Using tongs, remove chicken from pan, reserving butter in pan.
- Stir in flour until blended. Cook 30-45 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Gradually stir in broth and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in green onions, roasted garlic, orange zest and remaining minced thyme. Return chicken to pan; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. If desired, serve with orange slices and thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with about 1/4 cup sauce : 303 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Nov 2, 2018
I agree with the previous review. It tasted very bland. It was edible but I won’t make it again. I even marinated the chicken overnight.
May 24, 2017
I was in a hurry which sometimes often has an effect on the final outcome. But there should still have been more of an orange taste to it.