Orange-Swirled Cheesecake Dessert
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake 30 min. + chilling
- 6 ounces shortbread cookies (about 23)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place cookies and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. Stir in butter. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine 6 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice, water and zest until blended. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk. Return all to pan. Reduce heat. Cook, whisking continuously, 1 minute. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place baking chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Beat in flour. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat in sour cream and white chocolate mixture just until combined.
- Place 1/4 cup cream cheese mixture in a small bowl; stir in orange mixture until well blended.
- Pour plain cream cheese mixture over crust. Drop orange batter by tablespoonfuls randomly over top. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 325° 30-35 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 316 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 8, 2014
Following recipe to the letter my guests were overwelmed with the results. ** I made an extra batch of orange curd to dab on plate next to cheese cake when served. no plate had a crumb left. A definate keeper
Feb 16, 2014
I made this cheesecake yesterday. I agree it took quite along time to make. Probably took me over an hour with the crust and filling. Also there was a lot of dishes. I put it in a springform pan instead of the 9 inch. I left the temperature at 325 but none of the cake was set after 35 minutes. I left it in for an additional 20 minutes and it looked like it was set but after refrigerating it for the 2 hours I found the middle was not done. I'm not sure but I think the temperature should be at least 350. If I make it again I will up the heat.
Feb 11, 2014
We love this! It does take a while to make as it has several steps and I dirtied a lot of dishes while making it, but then I'm a messy, unorganized cook. I substituted the shortbread cookies with the chocolate on the bottom and rows across the top and it was over the top just delish. We all love the orange/chocolate taste. I didn't use the water, only o.j. since I like lots of orange flavor, but other than those two things, I pretty much followed the recipe. It's on our keeper list, for sure. I was saying as I was making it, that it had better be super good taking so long to make. It was worth it!
Feb 10, 2014
My family really enjoyed this, even the one who generally doesn't care for cheesecake! We all voted it a "keeper". I substituted a pecan shortbread crust from another recipe so that I could make it gluten-free, and the nutty flavor was perfect. I used low-fat cream cheese and sour cream, and since I didn't have any orange peel I added 1/8 tsp orange extract to the orange curd. It was delicious!
Feb 9, 2014
going to try it for our church "guinea pig supper" since I never tried this recipe sounds delish! I will give you feedback in about a week I'm sure it's going to be a big hit! :)
Feb 9, 2014
could you use a 9x13 pan?
Feb 9, 2014
This is one fantastic cheesecake. Brought this to a family get together and everyone asked for the recipe. Following week I brought it to a work function, and again, was asked for the recipe. This will be in my "favourites" file for sure.
Feb 9, 2014
I love this cheese cake I made it and my family & friend like it also.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.