"Seconds are common once folks try these wonderfully satisfying sweet potatoes—they're smothered with a cinnamon-orange sauce and dotted with walnuts," writes Bonnie Baumgardner from her home in Sylva, North Carolina.
Recommended: 55 Savory Ways to Enjoy Sweet Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain. When potatoes are cool, peel and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Arrange in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the orange juice, honey, butter, water and orange peel. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour mixture over the potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange Sweet Potatoes in Country Woman January/February 2001, p41
Reviews forOrange Sweet Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 6, 2015
"I have made this recipe multiple times. Its become a favorite at our family Thanksgiving meal."