Orange Sugar Rollouts
When my children were young, we would bake and decorate these cookies every Christmas. Now I carry on the tradition with my grandchildren.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk, orange zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, orange zest and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies.
Editor's Note: Instead of rolling and cutting out these cookies, the dough may be dropped by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake and frost as directed.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 260 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.