Orange Sugar Rollouts
When my children were young, we would bake and decorate these cookies every Christmas. Now I carry on the tradition with my grandchildren.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk, orange zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, orange zest and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies.
Editor's Note: Instead of rolling and cutting out these cookies, the dough may be dropped by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake and frost as directed.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 260 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Orange Sugar Rollouts in Best of Country Cookies