Orange Slice Bars
"These tasty bars are a portable way to satisfy a sweet tooth," relates Elaine Norton of Sandusky, Michigan.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + soaking Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 pound orange candy slices, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine candy and water. Cover and refrigerate overnight; drain well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in walnuts and candy.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Orange Slice Bars in Taste of Home April/May 2000
Nov 20, 2008
These delicious bars were gone in no time at my ladies group on Tuesday. I plan to add them to my holiday treat plates that I give to friends and family for the holidays. bristowgrad