With jalapeno, orange and avocado, every bite of this enticing entree is spicy, tangy and fresh. The sauce beautifully glazes the shrimp. —Don Thompson, Houston, Ohio
Recommended: 28 Impressive Holiday Roast Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or tangerine peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons rum or chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast cumin seeds and peppercorns until aromatic, 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange peel, oregano, salt and crushed spices. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon spice mixture over shrimp
- In a large skillet, cook shrimp in oil over medium-high heat 1 minute; turn shrimp. Add orange juice, rum, garlic and 1 tablespoon spice mixture. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 1-2 minutes longer; remove and keep warm.
- Bring liquid in skillet to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, for salsa, combine orange, onion, avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeno and remaining spice mixture in a small bowl.
- Stir shrimp and remaining cilantro into sauce; heat through. Serve with salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Orange Shrimp Mojo in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p231