Orange Shortbread with Spicy Dark Chocolate
Of all the cookies I've made over the years, shortbread is the one that won't last 24 hours in our house. My 11-year-old daughter is wild for dark chocolate and the cayenne pepper is hardly noticeable, but adds a sophisticated kick.—Holly Campbell, Palouse, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place first six ingredients in a food processor; process until dough comes together. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix chocolate and cayenne until smooth. Drizzle over cookies; refrigerate until set.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as desired.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.