Orange-Shallot Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (4-1/2 ounces each) torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup honey-roasted sliced almonds
- 1. In a small skillet, cook shallots in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the juices and vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until dressing is reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- 2. Stir in the sugar, pepper and salt; cool. Strain and discard shallots. Transfer dressing to a small bowl; whisk in remaining oil.
- 3. In a serving bowl, combine the salad greens, oranges and onion. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Sunkist Almond Accents.
1-1/4 cups: 229 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.