Creating recipes with my husband and grown daughter is family fun time at our house. Honey-roasted sliced almonds add appealing crunch and sweetness to this pretty salad. —Elaine Hailey, Chesterfield, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (4-1/2 ounces each) torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup honey-roasted sliced almonds
- In a small skillet, cook shallots in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the juices and vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until dressing is reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Stir in the sugar, pepper and salt; cool. Strain and discard shallots. Transfer dressing to a small bowl; whisk in remaining oil.
- In a serving bowl, combine the salad greens, oranges and onion. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and almonds.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Sunkist Almond Accents.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 229 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sunburst Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.