Orange-Scented Leeks & Mushrooms
This simple side is great for seasonal celebrations. The sherry and orange juice add a unique flavor twist that makes this dish special.—Carole Bess White, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 pounds medium leeks (white and light green portions only), thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or dash dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook leeks and mushrooms in oil in batches over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes. Return all to the pan. Add sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until liquid is almost evaporated, 10-15 minutes.