When we roast a turkey for the holidays, we use orange marmalade for a tangy glaze that gives the bird’s outer skin awesome flavor. —Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
Recommended: 25 Juicy, Golden Holiday Turkey Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Orange and onion wedges, optional
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Fresh parsley sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Rub oil over turkey; sprinkle with salt and pepper. If desired, add orange and onion wedges to roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, 2-3/4 hours. Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small saucepan, bring orange juice, marmalade and butter to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in orange zest and thyme.
- Brush turkey with some of the glaze. Roast 15-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, brushing occasionally with remaining glaze. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey and, if desired, orange and onion wedges and parsley. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Orange Roasted Turkey in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p61