"This tasty no-knead bread is so easy, it almost makes itself," chuckles Virginia Doyle of Pinedale, Wyoming. "With raisins and a hint of orange flavor, It's wonderful toasted for breakfast or anytime of the day with tea. I like to keep some on hand to share when friends stop by our ranch."
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and baking powder. In a saucepan, heat orange juice and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Add orange peel. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be thick). Stir in raisins (do not knead).
- Coat an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal; spoon batter into pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove form pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Orange-Raisin Toasting Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p45