Orange Pumpkin Chiffon Dessert
When pumpkin season rolls around, I like to find new ways to enjoy it in almost all my cooking. This creamy dessert feels so festive this time of year—;it gives you classic pumpkin pie flavor with just a kiss of orange. —Donna Roberts, Manhattan, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped topping and additional ground cinnamon, optional
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand 1 minute. Add pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, orange zest, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and remaining sugar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla; beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour before serving. If desired, serve with whipped topping and cinnamon.