Orange Pumpkin Chiffon Dessert
When pumpkin season rolls around, I like to find new ways to enjoy it in almost all my cooking. This creamy dessert feels so festive this time of year—it gives you classic pumpkin pie flavor with just a kiss of orange. —Donna Roberts, Manhattan, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped topping and ground cinnamon, optional
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand 1 minute. Add pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, orange zest, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and remaining sugar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla; beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour before serving. If desired, serve with whipped topping and cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 204 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as ORANGE PUMPKIN CHIFFON DESSERT in Taste of Home November 2018