Orange Pumpkin Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pumpkin and orange juice concentrate. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and allspice; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and pie spice; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and pumpkin.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Sprinkle with pecans; drizzle with caramel topping. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 609 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 28, 2012
Excellent spice cake. I cooked mine in four separate pans because I am NOT good at cutting cakes with that cake leveler. Next time, I might put the caramel sauce and pecans on each level because the top was my favorite.
Oct 9, 2012
This also has become a tradition at our table. Fabulous flavors and so easy to make. It serves as the center piece because it's so pretty.
Dec 25, 2011
I found the easy to make and put together. Nice cake texture, and a wonderful light combination of flavors. I did put a thin layer of the filling on top and then drizzled the caramel topping. Everyone wanted seconds! This will probably be part of many future holiday dessert line-ups!
Nov 25, 2011
Tried to make this for Thanksgiving but the cake didn't hold together very well so I cut it up and made it into a trifle. I layered the cake, filling and caramel, topping with the pecans and more caramel. It was a big hit. Even the leftover plain cake was gone by the next day. I think this cake would also be good with an orange cream cheese frosting.
Nov 15, 2011
Bitter and too sweet. Using a boxed cake mix and adding pumpkin would taste a lot better than this
Oct 4, 2011
Great tasting and appearance impresses
Oct 31, 2010
Good my goodness!!! This is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.My husband loved it and I will be making for Thanksgiving this year.Your guest will thank you !Frances Peterson
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.