My husband and I enjoy dessert but not all of the fat and calories that go with it. This pound cake is made lighter with Greek yogurt. You will never miss that extra fat in taste or texture.—Ann Goncheroski, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.
Recommended: Recipes with Cranberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches), optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 9x5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel and vanilla. Mix yogurt and orange juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt mixture, beating after each addition just until combined.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine compote ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon stick if necessary. Serve warm compote with cake. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup compote).
Originally published as Orange Pound Cake with Cranberry Compote in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p225