Orange Poppy Seed Cake
I used orange juice concentrate instead of oil in a poppy seed cake recipe to come up with this terrific dessert. We enjoy moist slices during the holidays and throughout the year.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly in pan. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Orange Poppy Seed Cake in Light & Tasty December/January 2003
Jun 28, 2010
I made this cake, and love it! Than I gave pieces to several friends, and to my Mom. Everyone I gave it to thought it was wonderful. I will be making it again - soon !